Fried Squid Po Boy with Avocado and Black Chile OilFrom choclytcandy 7 years ago
- 1 lb small squid (bodies and tentacles), cleaned shopping list
- 3 lemons shopping list
- kosher salt shopping list
- vegetable oil for frying shopping list
- all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, and pitted, peeled, and sliced shopping list
- 4 soft hero rolls, split shopping list
- 4 tsp Black Chile oil (recipe below) shopping list
- Black Chile Oil: Yield 1 14/ cups shopping list
- 8 dried chipotle chiles shopping list
- 2 dried ancho chiles shopping list
- 3/4 cup grapeseed oil shopping list
- 2 tbs white wine vinegar shopping list
- 2 tbs sugar shopping list
- 1 tbs minced garlic shopping list
- 1 tbs kosher salt shopping list
- juice from 1/2 lime shopping list
How to make it
- Rinse the squid and cut the bodies into 1/4-inch rounds. In a bowl, toss the squid in the juice from 1 lemon and season with salt. Fill an 8-to-10-inch skillet with enough vegetable oil to come about 2-inches up its side. Make sure the pot is deep enough to leave at least 4-inches above the oil. Heat the oil to 350-360 degrees. The oil is ready when you can see it moving around in the skillet; test with a small piece of squid, making sure that the oil sizzles when the squid is added.
- In a bowl, toss the squid in a generous amount of flour and shake off any excess. Working in batches, fry the squid until golden and crisp, about 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the squid to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with salt.
- Layer the avocado on the bottom half of each hero roll and coat the top halves with the chile oil. Stuff the oils with the squid and squeeze a generous amount of juice from the remaining lemons on top. Close the sandwiches and serve.
- Black Chile Oil:
- Place an oven or cooling rack on top of a gas burner. Place the chiles on the rack and char over an open flame. Using tongs, turn the chiles as they char. The chiles will puff up and turn completely black. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Discard the stems from all the chiles as well as the seeds from the anchos. Add the chiles and all the remaining ingredients to a food processor or blender and mix until fully incorporated. Use immediately or transfer to a container and refrigerate for 2 to 4 weeks.
People Who Like This Dish 1
- choclytcandy IN
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!