Chili EnchiladasFrom lynnthomas 4 years ago
- chili Enchiladas shopping list
- This got me four stars on BetterRecipes.com shopping list
- 350 degree F oven for 30-45 minutes shopping list
- Ingredients: shopping list
- 1 package corn tortillas (12 pack) shopping list
- 1 16 oz package colby/monterey jack cheese - block shopping list
- 1 white onion (not sweet) finely chopped shopping list
- 1 40 oz can Wolf Brand chili without beans (you can use your favorite brand but this makes the best) shopping list
- Tags: chili, corn-tortillas, monterrey-jack-cheese, oil, onions shopping list
How to make it
- In a skillet large enough to hold one flat tortilla, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat.
- Lay one tortillas at a time in hot oil for 10 seconds or just until limp, adding more oil as needed.
- Let excess oil drip back into pan and then lay tortilla on a plate covered with paper towels to absorb oil.
- Blot slightly with additional paper towels between each addition.
- Repeat with all 12.
- In a 9 1/2 inch by 12 inch oven safe casserole dish, spread a very thin layer of chili over the bottom.
- Take the first tortilla, place a 1/4 inch thick slice of cheese (should be about 1/2 inch wide) down the middle of the tortilla, side to side, sprinkle one tablespoon chopped onion over the cheese.
- Roll up and place seam side down in the casserole dish and repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Slightly thin the remaining chili with water and spread over the top of the enchiladas, covering them completely.
- Either grate some of the cheese over or add several thin slices randomly over the chili.
- Cover completely with aluminum foil.
- Place in 350 degree F oven for 30-45 minutes.
- Check at 30 minutes to see if chili is bubbling and remove then if it is or continue heating another 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with rice, refried beans, guacamole.
- This recipe was created by my mother, Elaine Thomas, many years ago to save spending the money at El Chicos for a family of five.