Mamas boiled squashFrom iamericap 4 years ago
How to make it
- Fill a very large pot with water, and a heaping teaspoon of salt. Bring to a roiling boil.
- While the water is heating, very lightly scrape each squash under running water.
- DO NOT SLICE or otherwise cut the squash!!!
- Carefully drop the squash into the boiling water, and allow to boil 25 minutes. It's done when you can pierce the skin with a fork, without much resistance.
- Once the squash is cooked, slice it once lengthwise to open it, before you put it on the dinner plate. This is because a lot of water will come out when you slice it, and you don't want that water all over the rest of your dinner.
- Melt butter on it, and salt it, and then very carefully (it will be VERY hot) move it to your dinner plate. Serve hot.
- Note: Cooked squash is very soft, so once it's cooked, handle it with care. A couple of flat wooden spoons, held like tongs works best for me to move it from pot, to preparation surface, and then finally to the plate. My mother always just used her fingers, but lord knows how that woman did it, because it's HOT! Use whatever works best for you.
The Cookiamericap Dallas, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!