Challah BreadFrom danikamarie 4 years ago
- Dough: shopping list
- * 1 cup lukewarm water shopping list
- * 2 eggs shopping list
- * 2 egg yolks shopping list
- * 2 tablespoons oil shopping list
- * 3 tablespoons honey shopping list
- * 4 1/2 cups bread flour shopping list
- * 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- * 1 package yeast shopping list
- Egg wash: shopping list
- * 2 egg whites shopping list
How to make it
- In a bowl combine the water, egg yolks, honey and oil together.
- Whisk till all the liquid ingredients are well mixed.
- Add in about two cups of the bread flour and the yeast and salt.
- Beat together till smooth and very well mixed.
- Allow to rest for 15 minutes uncovered.
- After 15 minutes have passed continue to add the rest of the flour, half a cup at a time.
- Once the dough becomes firm enough to work with your hands. Pour out onto a flat surface and knead for 10 minute till the dough becomes soft and elastic. You may need more flour, add it in 1tbsp at a time.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, and leave to rise for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- After the dough has doubled in size, cut it into 3 even sections.
- Roll each piece out in to 15 inch sections.
- Connect all 3 rolled out pieces at one end and start to braid from the right side, tuck the ends of the braid underneath for a nice neat braid.
- Place the braid on a baking sheet, cover, and let rise again until it has doubled in size.
- Whisk your leftover egg whites until frothy, and brush lightly over braid.
- Place the bread in a 400 degree oven and cook for 10 - 15 minutes (watch for browning) turn the oven down to 350, rotate the bread and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack!