Carrot Almond SaladFrom biceps15 5 years ago
- extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 cup blanched almonds shopping list
- a small handful cilantro, about 1/2 cup shopping list
- 1 medium clove garlic, peeled shopping list
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and de-veined shopping list
- 1/4+ teaspoon coarse sea salt shopping list
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 bunch / 8 oz baby carrots, scrubbed and sliced in half lengthwise shopping list
- 1 bunch / 16 oz pencil-thin asparagus, stalks trimmed, cut into 2-inch segments shopping list
- squeeze of lemon, optional shopping list
How to make it
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. In the meantime, toast the almonds in a large skillet over medium heat in a splash of olive oil along with a big pinch of salt. Let them get deeply golden, remove from heat, and set aside.
- Make the dressing by combining the cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, and salt in a food processor - or alternately, in a blender or with a hand blender.
- Drizzle the olive oil in while pulsing, continuing until the dressing is a creamy, vibrant green. Taste, and adjust to your liking with more salt, garlic, jalapeno, etc.
- Salt the boiling water generously, then add the carrots, wait 15 seconds and add the asparagus. Depending on the actual thickness of your carrots/asparagus, cook for about 30 - 60 more seconds, you want the vegetables to retain some structure and bite.
- Drain and immediately run under cold water to stop the cooking. In a large bowl toss the vegetables with a generous splash of the dressing.
- Chill in the fridge for about 15 minutes. The salad should be served room temperature.
- Toss well, add 2/3 of the toasted almonds and gently toss again. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- You might want to add a quick squeeze of lemon juice at this point, but it's optional.