White Chicken ChiliFrom 99pelmeni 6 years ago
- 16 oz of canned white beans shopping list
- 2 large onions, chopped shopping list
- 1 stick unsalted butter shopping list
- 1/4 cup flour shopping list
- 3/4 cup chicken broth shopping list
- 2 cups half and half shopping list
- 1 tsp Tabasco shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder shopping list
- 1 tsp ground cumin (I usually put in more) shopping list
- pinch of salt (adjust to taste) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper shopping list
- pickled or fresh jalapeno slices according to taste (I use a lot) shopping list
- 5 boneless, skinless chiken breasts (about 2 pounds) shopping list
- butter and oil to brown chicken shopping list
- 2 or 3 dried cloves, smashed or ground up to powder shopping list
- 1 1/2 c grated monterey jack cheese shopping list
- 1/2 c sour cream shopping list
How to make it
- Coat the chicken with salt, pepper and some chili powder and brown in a skillet with butter and oil.
- Remove the chicken from the pan. When chicken is cool, shred it and set aside.
- While chicken is cooling, cook the onion in the same pan with 2 Tbs of butter until softened.
- In a heavy pot, large enough to hold all the ingredients, melt remaining 6 Tbs of butter over moderately low heat and whisk in flour. Cook the roux, whisking constantly, for three minutes.
- Stir in the onion and gradually add the broth and half and half, whisking the whole time. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes, or until thickened.
- Stir in Tabasco, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Add beans, peppers, chicken, cheese and cloves and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
- Add sour cream. May be served immediately.
- Serve with the usual chili garnishes--cilantro, cheese, jalapenos, tomatoes, etc.