Navy Bean SoupFrom hellcatzach 3 years ago
- 1 lb. dry navy beans shopping list
- 1 hamhock bone + whatever meat is left on it (the more the merrier) shopping list
- 1 or 2 large onions cut in 1 inch squares shopping list
- Several sliced stalks of cerlery shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 can chicken broth shopping list
- 1 tbsp. dried parsley shopping list
- 1 good pinch dried tarragon shopping list
- 1 tbsp. fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 cloves fresh garlic crushed and minced (or powdered eqiv.) shopping list
- I do not add salt because ham is salty shopping list
- + shopping list
- Fresh thyme or rosemary shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare beans as described on package. I personally like to combine all the ingredients, bring it to a boil, and then simmer covered for 2 to 3 hours.
- This soup seems to get better after it has been sitting in the fridege a few days. Depending on the fat yeild, I will usually refrigerate and remove the top layer of fat before serving. This will not reduce the flavor noticably, and will remove some of the fat and sodium content.
- Serve with a fresh sprig of thyme or rosemary.
The Cookhellcatzach Tempe, AZ
- Not added to any groups yet!