Frozen Chocolate Praline Meringue TorteFrom hopscotch 6 years ago
- 8 cups (2 L) chocolate ice cream shopping list
- Meringues: shopping list
- 3 egg whites shopping list
- 1 pinch cream of tartar shopping list
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ground pecans shopping list
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla shopping list
- Praline: shopping list
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped pecans or blanched almonds shopping list
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using 8-inch (1.2 L) round metal cake pan as guide, trace 2 circles onto parchment paper. Turn paper over.
- In bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Beat in sugar, 2 tbsp (25 mL) at a time, until stiff glossy peaks form; fold in pecans and vanilla. Spoon onto circles, smoothing tops.
- Bake in bottom third of 225°F (110°C) oven until dry and crisp, 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Turn off oven; let cool in oven, 2 hours.
- (Make-ahead: Store in airtight container in cool, dry place for up to 5 days.)
- Spread pecans on parchment paper-lined rimmed baking sheet. In heavy saucepan, stir sugar with 3 tbsp (50 mL) water over medium heat until dissolved, brushing down side of pan with pastry brush dipped in cold water.
- Bring to boil; boil vigorously, without stirring but brushing down side of pan, until dark amber, about 8 minutes.
- Pour over pecans; let cool. Break into pieces; chop coarsely and set aside. (Make-ahead: Store in airtight container for up to 5 days.)
- Soften ice cream in refrigerator until spreadable, about 30 minutes.
- Place 1 meringue on 10-inch (25 cm) plate; spread with half of the ice cream. Sprinkle half of the praline pieces over top; press gently into ice cream. Top with remaining meringue; spread remaining ice cream over top and side, smoothing side. Cover with plastic wrap; freeze until very firm, about 8 hours. (Make-ahead: Freeze for up to 2 days.)
- Dip 2 metal spatulas in warm water; dry off. Slide under edge of cake to loosen; transfer to serving platter. Sprinkle with remaining praline pieces.
- Additional Information
- Tip: Use rich, good-quality ice cream. Low-fat ice cream and frozen yogurt melt too quickly to allow for an attractive presentation and gracious serving.
People Who Like This Dish 0
- hopscotch CA
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookhopscotch CA
- Not added to any groups yet!