Cheddar Grits Casserole With Tomatoes And Green ChiliesFrom choclytcandy 5 years ago
- Basic grits recipe- shopping list
- 1 cup stone ground white or yellow grits (if you are not fortunate enough to live in the South, you may mail order these at Anson Mills) shopping list
- 4 cups whole milk (no skim please-it’s so not Southern) shopping list
- 3 tablespoon sweet unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
- freshly ground pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 lb extra sharp white aged cheddar coarsely grated shopping list
- 5 eggs lightly beaten shopping list
- 1 can tomatoes with green chilies (found in your Mexican section of any grocery store) shopping list
How to make it
- Put first four ingredients in a medium saucepan, whisk well to mix and bring to a boil. Turn to low heat and cook for about 25 minutes or according to directions on grits package. Stir often, making sure that the grits don’t clump at the bottom of the pan. When done set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile mix remaining ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside. Add a cup or so of the warm grits and beat to combine. Then add remaining grit mixture and mix together. Pour into a greased dish or two and bake in a preheated oven set to 375 degrees. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes till lightly browned on top and set in the center. Don’t over bake, but make sure center doesn’t jiggle.
- Serve warm as a side dish or with a salad as a light meal.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!