Bread SoupFrom choclytcandy 6 years ago
- 1/4 cup olive oil or 4 tbs unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 onion, diced shopping list
- 2 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 2 ripe plantains or bananas, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices on the diagonal shopping list
- 5 garlic cloves, minced or pureed shopping list
- 1 bunch fresh oregano, leaves only chopped, or 1/2 tbs dried shopping list
- 1/2 bunch fresh thyme, leaves only, chopped, or 1 tsp dried shopping list
- small a sprig of fresh rosemary, leaves only, chopped, or 1/4 tsp dried shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes, diced, with the juices shopping list
- 6 oz baguette (about 1/3 loaf), cut into 1/2-inch chunks (with crust) shopping list
- 6 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock shopping list
- 2 limes, cut into quarters, for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the olive oil or butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook the onion with the salt until they start to caramelize, 10 to 15 min. Add the plantains or bananas and cook 10 minutes longer. Stir in the garlic, oregano, thyme, and rosemary and cook until aromatic, about 3 minutes longer. Add the diced tomatoes and their juices and cook 10 min. longer.
- Add the bread chunks and chicken or vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until the bread has softened and the flavors are well blended, about 45 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowl, then squeeze a wedge of lime into each and toss in the wedge. Serve hot.
People Who Like This Dish 0
- choclytcandy IN
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!