Savory Red Lentil SoupFrom thyme4ma 5 years ago
- 3 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper shopping list
- Pinch of cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable broth shopping list
- 1 cup red lentils shopping list
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced shopping list
How to make it
- In a large pot, heat 3 tablespoons oil over high heat until hot and shimmering.
- Add onion and garlic, and sauté until golden, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, cumin, salt, black pepper and cayenne, and sauté for 2 minutes longer.
- Add broth, 2 cups water, lentils and carrot. Bring to a simmer, then partially cover pot and turn heat to medium-low.
- Simmer until lentils are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Taste and add salt if necessary.
- Using a blender or a food processor, purée half the soup then add it back to pot. Soup should be somewhat chunky.
- Reheat if necessary.
- Serve immediately.