Crispy Onion StringsFrom warsawnan 6 years ago
- 1 large onion (sweet Vidalia or yellow) shopping list
- 2 c. buttermilk shopping list
- 1-1/2 cup all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs shopping list
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper shopping list
- peanut oil shopping list
How to make it
- Slice onion very thin. Place in a dish and cover with buttermilk. Gently stir to separate the onion slices into individual rings. Let sit for one hour.
- Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
- With a fork, scoop out a bunch of onions from the buttermilk allowing excess to drain some. Toss them into the flour mixture and shake the container around to coat well. With your hand, scoop the onions out of the flour and shake off excess. Set coated onions on a dinner plate, and continue coating the remaining onions.
- While prepared onions rest, heat oil to 375 degrees. Use of deep-fryer is recommended, but you can use a large saucepan.
- Carefully place coated onions into hot oil. Do not over-crowd! You may have to fry in 2 or 3 batches. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes--keep an eye on them!--and remove as soon as golden brown. Place on a paper towel lined dish to drain.