South American Style Barbecued RibsFrom superfoodman 5 years ago
- 3 medium-size yellow onions, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed shopping list
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) sugar shopping list
- 300 mL (1¼ cups) water shopping list
- 1.4 kg (3 lbs) pork spareribs or beef short ribs, cut into 2-rib widths shopping list
- 550 mL (2¼ cups) canned crushed tomatoes shopping list
- 45 mL (3 tbsp) red wine vinegar shopping list
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) molasses shopping list
- 1 large banana, peeled and sliced 1 cm (½ in) thick shopping list
- 50 mL (¼ cup) raisins shopping list
- 10 mL (2 tsp) ground ginger shopping list
- 3 mL (3/4 tsp) dried oregano, crumbled shopping list
- 1 mL (¼ tsp) hot red pepper sauce shopping list
- 250 g (8 oz) green beans, trimmed and cut into 2.5 cm (1 in) lengths shopping list
- 250 mL (1 cup) long-grain white or brown rice shopping list
- Flat-leaf parsley sprigs (optional garnish) shopping list
How to make it
- Place the onions and garlic and sprinkle with the sugar in a large pot. Add 250 mL (1 cup) of the water and simmer, uncovered, over moderate heat until the water has evaporated and the onions are very soft—about 10 minutes.
- Add the ribs, remaining water and tomatoes, vinegar, molasses, banana, raisins, ginger, oregano and red pepper sauce. Mix well.
- Bring to a boil, cover and transfer into aluminum foil or a shallow covered pan.
- Place on low heat on the grill and let cook until the ribs are tender and the meat falls away from the bone–about 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Stir in the green beans, cover and bake until the beans are tender–15 to 20 minutes more.
- Serve with the rice and garnish with the parsley sprigs if desired.