Roasted Triple - Tomato SauceFrom jo_jo_ba 3 years ago
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled shopping list
- 27.5 oz fresh San Marzano tomatoes, halved lengthwise shopping list
- 1/2 medium red onion, cut into 4 pieces shopping list
- 1.2 oz red bell pepper, seeded and cut into roughly the same size as the tomato halves shopping list
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- salt + pepper shopping list
- 1/2 cup dry red wine shopping list
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, de-stemmed shopping list
- 2 oz sundried tomatoes, julienned shopping list
- 7.2 oz cucumber, coarsley grated shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- 3 oz tomato paste (1/2 can) shopping list
- pinch each oregano, basil and lemon-pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or foil.
- Place garlic cloves on a square of foil and pour 1 tbsp of water overtop. Wrap garlic, sealing the foil packet and place on the bottom rack of the oven. Bake 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange tomato halves, onion and bell pepper on the lined sheets, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place sheets in the oven and roast for 45 minutes.
- While vegetables are roasting, combine red wine, thyme, sundried tomatoes and cucumber in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook on low heat 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- When vegetables and garlic are done, puree in a food processor and add to the stovetop mixture. Add 1/2 cup of water to the food processor and whirl it to "clean" out the workbowl, adding the tomatoey water to the pot as well.
- Bring to a simmer, stir in tomato paste, herbs and lemon pepper and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes.
- Cool and pour into jars, keep in the fridge, freeze or can in a waterbath.