Ham And Bean Soup With VegetablesFrom cuzpat 5 years ago
- 1 cup dry navy beans shopping list
- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 pounds meaty smoked shopping list
- pork hocks or one 1- to 1-1/2-pound meaty ham bone shopping list
- 1 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 1/2 cup sliced celery shopping list
- 1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon granules shopping list
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley shopping list
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme or shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried, crushed shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper shopping list
- 2 cups chopped parsnips or rutabaga shopping list
- 1 cup sliced carrots shopping list
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained. shopping list
How to make it
- Rinse beans. In a Dutch oven combine beans and 5 cups cold water. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour. (Or, skip boiling water and soak beans overnight in a covered pan.) Drain and rinse beans.
- In the same pan combine beans, 5 cups fresh water, pork hocks or ham bone, onion, celery, bouillon granules, parsley, thyme, and pepper. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1-3/4 hours. Remove pork hocks or ham bone; set aside boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, cut meat off bones and coarsely chop. Discard bones. Stir meat and spinach into saucepan. Cook until heated through..
- Make-ahead tip: Prepare soup; cool slightly. Transfer to 1- to 4-serving size freezer containers. Seal, label, and freeze up to 1 month. To reheat, transfer frozen soup to saucepan. Cook, covered, over medium heat until heated through, stirring occasionally to break apart.