Sri Lankan Beef CurryFrom pleclare 4 years ago
- 1 lb boneless beef(such as round steaks or roast) or 1-1/2 lbs short ribs or cross ribs shopping list
- 1 TB vegetable oil shopping list
- about 10 fresh or frozen curry leaves shopping list
- 1 green cayenne chile,finely chopped shopping list
- generous 1 c finely chopped onion shopping list
- 1 tsp tumeric shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 c fresh or canned coconut milk shopping list
- 2 TB vinegar shopping list
- 5 to 6 cardamom seeds (from 1 to 2 green cardamom pods) shopping list
- 3 c water shopping list
- 2 TB curry powder shopping list
- 1-1" piece cinnamon stick shopping list
How to make it
- Cut boneless beef into approximately 1/2 " cubes.,or if using ribs,cut apart. Set aside.
- In small dry,heavy skillet,roast dry spice mixture( curry powder) over med-high heat 3 to 4 mins,stirring frequently ,unti it has a good aroma. Set aside in small bowl.
- In wide,heavy pot ,heat the oil over med-high. @hen oil is hot,add curry leaves,green chile,onion,and tumeric and stir fry 3 mins. Add beef and salt and cook,stirring occasionaly to expose all surfaces of the meat to hot oil,for 5 mins or till meat is browned.
- Add reserved dry spice and coconut milk and stir to coat the meat with coconut milk. Reduce heat to med. and cook 10 mins,stirring occasionally.Combine vinegar with 3 c water. Add liquid to pot,bring to boil,then lower heat and cook at a strong simmer for about 1 hour,or till meat is tender and flavors well blended.
- Taste and adjust seasonings,if you wish. Serve hot.
- Serve with plenty of rice to soak up sauce and a sweet chutney.