Whole Wheat Pizza DoughFrom luv2blocavore 3 years ago
- 1 T instant yeast (not rapid rise, but http://t.co/4LTnEb3) shopping list
- 1 t. sugar, honey or agave nectar shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm (110˚) water shopping list
- 1 t. olive oil shopping list
- 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour shopping list
- 1 2/3 cups whole wheat bread flour (works better than just whole wheat) shopping list
- 2 t. kosher salt shopping list
- Cornmeal for dusting shopping list
How to make it
- To the bowl of an electric mixer with a dough hook, add ingredients in the order listed.* With instant yeast, you don't need to a "sponge" first.
- Mix on low, gradually going up to medium, just until dough pulls away from the bowl and a small ball forms.
- Transfer to an oiled mixing bowl and put in refrigerator overnight (12-24 hrs.). If you don't have the time, this works almost as well letting it rise in a warm, draft-free spot for a few hours, until dough is doubled.
- Preheat oven with pizza stone in it to 500˚.
- Turn dough out to a floured surface, kneading for a few minutes.
- Divide dough into 2 or 3 portions. Gently press out with hands first, then roll to desired thickness (I like it thin, so I do 3 roughly 8-inch rounds).
- Dust pizza peel with fine corn meal and put one pizza on it, brush top lightly with olive oil, poke all but outer edges with a fork.
- Bake naked for 3 - 5 minutes (punching down bubbles in the middle).
- Top with favorite pizza toppings then bake until golden and bubbly. Or let the naked pizzas cool, then freeze for another day.
- * Or use the dough setting on a bread machine ... this makes it super easy.