French Onion SoupFrom twill10 4 years ago
- French Onion Soup shopping list
- Ingredients shopping list
- 1 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil shopping list
- 2 1/2 large (about 2 1/2-cups) onions, halved and thinly sliced shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) sugar shopping list
- 2 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour shopping list
- 3 1/2 cup(s) Swanson® beef broth shopping list
- 1/4 cup(s) white wine, or vermouth shopping list
- 4 slice(s) French bread, toasted shopping list
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded Swiss cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepot over medium heat. Add the onions. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Uncover the saucepot.
- Increase the heat to medium. Add the sugar and cook for 15 minutes or until the onions are golden.
- Stir the flour in the saucepot and cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the broth and wine. Heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Divide the soup among 4 bowls. Top each with a bread slice and cheese.
- Tips & Techniques
- Use a food processor with slicing attachment for ease in preparation. For even more flavor, try rubbing the bread with a garlic clove and topping it with the cheese before toasting.
- I learned how to make this with an oven proof ramekin (small serving dish). I found a loaf of french bread big enough to cover the top of the ramekin and sliced it about 1/2 think, I then put the bread on top of the ramekin and add Gruyere swiss cheese and put on a oven proof plate and put under a broil until browned, the cheese it's okay to let it run down sides of the ramekin, just down let it run off on to the floor.
The Cooktwill10 Cape Girardeau, MO
- Not added to any groups yet!