Soup BeansFrom twill10 4 years ago
- Soup beans shopping list
- Igredients shopping list
- 1 pound(s) pinto, yellow-eyed or other dried beans ( I would even use blackeyed peas, field peas or crowder peas). shopping list
- 12 cup(s) water shopping list
- 8 ounce(s) finely diced ham shopping list
- 1 medium onion shopping list
- 1 clove(s) garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Place beans, water, ham, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the beans are very tender and beginning to burst, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. If necessary, add an additional 1/2 to 1 cup water while simmering to keep the beans just submerged in cooking liquid.
- Remove from the heat; discard the onion and garlic. Transfer 2 cups of the beans to a medium bowl and coarsely mash with a fork or potato masher. Return the mashed beans to the pot; stir to combine.