Spicy Lentil SoupFrom babsalaba 3 years ago
- 1/2 onion, chopped shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced shopping list
- 1 stalk celery, chopped shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, minced shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes with green chilis (like Ro-Tel) – drained, and with the juice reserved shopping list
- 1 cup dry brown lentils shopping list
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- ground black pepper to taste shopping list
- sour cream shopping list
How to make it
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is translucent and soft.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in lentils, add broth, drained tomatoes & chilis and bay leaf, and oregano.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour.
- Stir in the reserved juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Top with a generous dollop of sour cream.