Onion Soup With Pretzel Cheese DumplingsFrom hungrybear 5 years ago
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 3 pounds onions, sliced thin shopping list
- 1 tablespoon sugar shopping list
- 12 ounces dark ale shopping list
- 6 cups chicken or beef stock shopping list
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice shopping list
- salt and black pepper shopping list
- 4 branches fresh thyme shopping list
- 2 cups packaged pretzel nuggets shopping list
- 11/2 cups grated Gruyère cheese, more for serving shopping list
- 2 large eggs shopping list
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard shopping list
How to make it
- Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan. Add onions and sugar and cook over
- medium heat, stirring frequently, until onions are golden, about 40
- minutes. Add 1 cup ale and stir, scraping pot to release caramelized
- particles. Add stock. Simmer 30 minutes. Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Add thyme and set aside one hour or longer to infuse. Pulse pretzels in a food processor or place in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin to make coarse crumbs. Mix in a bowl with cheese. Lightly beat eggs, whisk in mustard and remaining ale and stir this mixture into pretzel crumbs and cheese. Form mixture into 18 dumplings about the size of Ping-Pong balls, place on a platter and cover until ready to cook.
- About 20 minutes before serving, fill a 3-quart saucepan halfway with
- water and bring to a boil. Drop dumplings into water and simmer gently 15 minutes. While dumplings simmer, remove thyme from soup. Reheat soup.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Use a slotted spoon to transfer 3 to 4 dumplings
- to each bowl. Serve, with additional grated cheese on the side.