Parker's Split Pea SoupFrom cjbarash 4 years ago
- 1 cup yellow onions, chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/8 cup olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano shopping list
- 1-1/2 tsp kosher salt shopping list
- 1 tsp ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 cups carrots, medium dice (3-4 carrots) shopping list
- 1 cup red boiling potatoes, unpeeled, medium dice (3 small) shopping list
- 1-2 ham shanks trimmed of fat (optional) or 1 pkg Goya ham flavored seasoning (optional) shopping list
- 1 pound dried split green peas, divided shopping list
- 8 cups chicken stock shopping list
How to make it
- In a 6 quart stockpot on medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with the olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper until onions are translucent.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, 1/2 pound of split peas, ham shank (if using) or ham seasoning (if using) and chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered for 40 minutes, skimming the foam while cooking.
- Add the remaining split peas and continue to simmer for another 40-50 minutes.
- Stir frequently to keep the solids from burning on the bottom.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.