Split Pea With Ham SoupFrom windy1950 6 years ago
- 2 cups dried split peas (or about 1 pound) shopping list
- 2 Tbsps cooking oil shopping list
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced shopping list
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced shopping list
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced shopping list
- 8 oz turkey ham, diced shopping list
- 3 qts water shopping list
- 1/2 tsp black pepper shopping list
- 1/2 tsp coarse grind garlic shopping list
- dash of nutmeg shopping list
- dash of Mrs Dash (salt free seasoning) shopping list
- Salt, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Soak peas overnight in enough water to cover... this step is optional.
- 2. In a stock pot over medium heat, bring the cooking oil to a sizzle, but not quite smoking. Add in the veggies, including the split peas. Allow to cook until the veggies are crisp tender. Add in the ham and continue to cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
- 3. Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add seasonings, salting with a light hand.
- 4. Continue to cook for about 2 or 3 hours, or until peas are soft. Add water and salt, if and when needed.
- 5. Serve hot.
The Cookwindy1950 Flint, MI
The Rating1 people
This turned out great for me but used ham not turkey ham. Thanks again Windy!theiris in Garden City loved it