Beer, Onion And Carrot SoupFrom ethoits 3 years ago
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese shopping list
- 4 tbs butter shopping list
- 2 tbs flour shopping list
- French bread, sliced into small pieces shopping list
- 1 12oz bottle of good brown ale shopping list
- 3 cups beef stock shopping list
- 1 large carrot, shredded shopping list
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 tbs honey shopping list
- 1/4 cup sherry shopping list
- worcestershire sauce, to taste (I use a couple splashes) shopping list
- salt and black pepper, to taste shopping list
- hot sauce of your choice, to taste shopping list
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, if needed/desired. shopping list
How to make it
- Toast the bread pieces in the oven at 375 degrees until just barely browned. Remove, sprinkle the cheese on the slices, return to the oven and cook until the cheese just melts. Set the bread aside.
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan on medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally to keep them from burning, for about 10 minutes. The onions should achieve a golden brown color and very soft texture.
- Add the garlic and carrots and cook for five more minutes.
- Add the flour and cook for another minute to create a sort of "paste" with the vegetables.
- Add the beer, stock, honey, sherry, Worcestershire sauce, seasonings and hot sauce. Bring to a simmer. Let the soup simmer for another 10 minutes, or until it starts to thicken slightly.
- If you would like it a bit thicker and creamier, lower the heat and add in the 1/4 of cream. Not necessary, it's equally delicious without it. Adjust your seasonings if needed.
- Serve with the "croutons" on the side. Add them in when it's time to eat for a hint of cheese and texture.
The Cookethoits Manchester, N.H.
- Not added to any groups yet!