Guinness Ham & Vegetable SoupFrom deedeec 6 years ago
- 4 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 4 med potatoes, peeled, 1/2" dice shopping list
- 1 cup carrot, peeled, 1/4" sliced shopping list
- 2 ribs celery, 1/4" sliced shopping list
- 1 med onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 tsp dried thyme shopping list
- 2 cups diced ham (use leftovers) shopping list
- 1 can navy beans, drained, rinsed shopping list
- 1 bottle of Guinness, room temp shopping list
- pepper to taste shopping list
- dash of hot pepper sauce (to taste) shopping list
How to make it
- Add vegetables, thyme, and broth to crockpot and cook on high 2-3 hours.
- For last hour of cooking, add beans, ham, and Guinness.
- Pepper to taste
- Add hot sauce if you like, to taste.
- Serve hot with crackers or crusty bread
- Variations. I didn't have beans so I used lentils. Worked great, but added them earlier because they were dried not from a can.
- Wanted lower sodium, so I use 3 cups chicken bouillon and 1 cup water.
- Got other vegetables? You could add parsnips, corn, green beans,
- Guinness gives the broth a nice brown, caramel color. You can use other beers for a milder flavor and a "blonder" soup.
People Who Like This Dish 0
- deedeec Seattle, WA
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookdeedeec Seattle, WA
- Not added to any groups yet!