Quick Blackeye PeasFrom recipeguru 2 years ago
- 1 bag frozen blackeye peas (16 oz) shopping list
- 1/4 c olive oil shopping list
- 1 small onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, crushed shopping list
- 1 smoked turkey wing (I use the drumstick part) shopping list
- 1/2 c water shopping list
- 1 t crushed red pepper flakes shopping list
- 1/2 t sugar shopping list
- 1/2 t sea salt shopping list
- 1/2 t black pepper (optional shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium saucepan, bring the 1/2 cup of water to boil.
- Add turkey wing & let it boil two minutes
- Reduce heat & simmer 15-20 minutes or until meat falls from the bone
- While the turkey simmers:
- In small saute pan, heat the olive olive
- Add the chopped onion, bell pepper, and garlic; saute until soft & transluscent..remove from heat.
- Remove the turkey & separate it from the bone..
- Add the peas to the 'broth', and add the turkey
- If needed, add enough water to cover them.
- Add the saute'd onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Boil for 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat, cover & simmer for 35 minutes.
- Stir in the seasonings (red pepper flakes, sugar, sea salt, pepper)
- Cover again & let it simmer another 5-10 minutes (you can add more water if needed)
- Remove from heat..it's been my experience that the longer it "sits", the more it'll thicken. Serve over rice, if desired.
The Cookrecipeguru Charleston, WV
- Not added to any groups yet!