Vegans - Giving Skillet BurgersFrom jo_jo_ba 6 years ago
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 small white onion, minced shopping list
- 2 stalks celery, minced shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 12 oz low-fat extra firm tofu, drained well shopping list
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce shopping list
- 2 tbsp pumpkin puree (not pie filling!) shopping list
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes shopping list
- 1 tbsp poultry seasoning shopping list
- 1/2 tsp sea salt shopping list
- 1 tsp black pepper shopping list
- pinch nutmeg (optional) shopping list
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries, minced finely shopping list
- 1/4 cup mashed potato flakes shopping list
- 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat until it shimmers, then add onion and celery.
- Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic (with a small splash of water if needed) and cook just until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, crumble the tofu with your hands into roughly "ground meat" texture.
- Stir in the soy sauce and pumpkin puree, then add the sauteed mixture, nutritional yeast, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper and nutmeg and mix until it's all combined.
- Add cranberries, potato flakes, gluten flour and breadcrumbs and fold through well.
- Divide mixture into 6 pieces, flattening slightly, and place on a foil or parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover with plastic and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and bring a clean large non-stick pan to medium-high heat.
- Spray the pan with non-stick spray and add the patties, 3 at a time.
- Cook for 2 minutes each side, then place back on the lined sheet. Repeat for remaining patties.
- Place the sheet in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Form the patties, place on lined sheets and freeze, covered, until solid.
- Transfer to a freezer bag or container, sandwiching between layers of parchment.
- To re-heat, place on a lined sheet and bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes, until hot.
- If extra crispness is desired, broil on HI 1 minute per side.
The Cookjo_jo_ba Oshawa, CA
On A Budget559 members
Good To Freeze130 members
Comfort Foods775 members
Eat Light Healthy457 members
Cooking For Food Allergies45 members
Whole Foods142 members
Garlic Lovers460 members
Fresh Food Cooking119 members
Special NeedsRestricted55 members