Easy Low Country Boil - Frogmore StewFrom charlestonchefdave 3 years ago
- Low Country Boil: shopping list
- 4-5 lbs of shrimp (1/2 a pound per person is the rule, don't peel) shopping list
- 2 lbs of your favorite smoked sausage i.e. polish, andouille, turkey shopping list
- 8-10 New/red potatoes, washed and skin on (two each person is my rule but you decide) shopping list
- 5 ears of corn shucked, washed and broken in half (you can use the frozen packs of minis to make even easier) shopping list
- 2 sweet onions peeled and quartered (Vidalia are the best) shopping list
- 1/4 Cup of Old Bay seafood Boil seasoning shopping list
- 1 beer shopping list
- 4 quarts of water shopping list
- lemon wedges to go around shopping list
- Cocktail Sauce: shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons of Prepared Fresh Ground Horse radish shopping list
- 4 Tablesoons of ketchup shopping list
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice (juice of half a lemon) shopping list
- 2-4 dashes of worcestershire sauce shopping list
How to make it
- First Prepare the Cocktail sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and place in refrigerator to chill. Feel free to play around with ingredients and taste as you go to get "your own" favorite sauce
- Low Country Boil Directions: I use a big outdoor pot, same thing you would fry a turkey in. This comes with a basket and makes it easy to remove the contents once they are finished. If you do this indoors use a large stock pot and have your colander at the ready
- Place water, beer and old bay seasoning in pot and bring to a hard boil.
- Add Potatoes & Onions and boil for 7 minutes
- Add Corn and Sausage and cook for another 7 minutes or until potatoes and corn are tender.
- Turn the heat off
- Immediately Add the Shrimp and allow to cook in hot water for about 2 - 3 minutes or until light pink color. This is all they need!!! Don't over cook the shrimp!
- To Serve:
- Strain into colander or use a strianing spoon and place contents on a big platter with tongs or lay news paper down on your outdoor table and simply dump out Pre-Strained contents
- Add lemon wedges all over the platter or table
- Remove cocktail sauce from refrigerator and place in bowls around table
- Place a shell and cob discard bowl on the table
- Place roll of paper towels on the table
- Dig in!
- Pairing suggestions: Big Glass of Sweet Tea or an Ice Cold Beer
The Cookcharlestonchefdave Charleston, South Carolina
- Not added to any groups yet!