Mexican Herbed Chicken W/tomatillo Salsa And Queso FrescoFrom sharebear1 4 years ago
- salsa (you will have extra, store in fridge): shopping list
- 6-8 tomatillos, husks removed and cleaned shopping list
- 1-2 jalapenos, cut in half (Optional: seeds removed for less spice) shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves minced shopping list
- 1/2 white onion, chopped shopping list
- 1-2 tablespoon cilantro, minced shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste shopping list
- Chicken: shopping list
- 3- (about 1.25lbs ttl) bonless chicken breasts shopping list
- 1 cup bread crumbs (fresh or store bought) shopping list
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground habanero pepper shopping list
- 1/2 cup queso fresco, crumbled shopping list
- 1/2 cup oil for frying shopping list
- lime wedges & cilantro sprigs shopping list
How to make it
- To prepare salsa fill pot with enough water to cover tomatillos. Add jalapenos too. Bring to boil and simmer about 7 minutes,until tomatillos are a light golden brown color. Using a slotted spoon remove tomatillos and jalapeno and place into blender. Add about 1/2 cup of remaining water and discard rest. Blend 2-3 minutes until smooth. Add garlic cloves, onion, cilantro and salt, blend another 2 mintues until smooth. Set aside.
- Place bread crumbs into bowl, add spices and mix well. In another bowl place whip eggs lightly. Set both bowls aside. Place chicken between two sheets of heavy suty plastic wrap and pound to 1/2 inch thickness using meat mallet.
- Heat skillet with oil. Dip chicken into egg mixture; dredge in breadcrumbs. Add chicken to skillet of oil and cook 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Repeat steps for remaining chicken.
- Top each peice of chicken with salsa and queso fresco. Garnish with limes and cilantro sprigs if desired.