Japanese Pickles, Shio-zuke.From elgourmand 3 years ago
How to make it
- 1. Use only fresh veggies in their prime See Photo . Bad veggies = bad Shio-Zuke.
- 2. Wash veggies thoroughly.
- 3. Slice, more or less, bite size.
- 4. In a good size bowl, mix veggies with enough salt to make a brine. This will be about a tsp. Of salt per 2 cups of veggies. A little extra salt is okay.
- 5. Let veggies set for about ten minutes and then mix again.
- 6. Arrange the veggies flat in a pickle press (see Photo) and apply medium pressure See Photo. You can do this without a press but they come out nicer with a press.
- 7. Place in the fridge overnight, at least ten hours and a bit longer is good.
- 8. Remove from the press and rinse thoroughly in a colander.
- These will last at least a week in a covered container in the fridge See Photo . Mine never last a week cause we eat em quick.