Savoury Vegetable RiceFrom sitbynellie 3 years ago
- 2 tbsps. oil (I used rapeseed, but any neutral-flavoured oil would be fine). shopping list
- 1 red onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 small stick celery, thinly-sliced shopping list
- 1½ tbsps. garlic-ginger paste, or to taste shopping list
- 8 oz. basmati rice shopping list
- 6 oz. chestnut mushrooms, sliced shopping list
- a knob of butter or margarine, or some more oil shopping list
- 3 oz. mangetout peas (snow peas) shopping list
- Half a 14 oz. can chopped tomatoes shopping list
- ¾ pt. hot chicken stock (or vegetable stock) shopping list
- 3 cloves shopping list
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric shopping list
- ¾ tsp. salt, or to taste shopping list
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper, or to taste shopping list
- Some finely-chopped parsley shopping list
How to make it
- In a large pan, heat the oil.
- Add the onions and celery and fry very gently for about 7 minutes, until they start to soften and turn translucent. See Photo
- Add the garlic-ginger paste and stir in well, and cook for a minute or so.
- Add the rice and stir well, frying for a few minutes. See Photo
- Add the mushrooms and stir really well, until they have a coating of oil. If they seem dry, add some more oil or some butter (I used dairy-free margarine). Fry for a few minutes until the mushrooms are evenly-coloured.
- Add the peas, and again stir well. See Photo
- Add the tomatoes, the hot stock, and the spices and seasonings See Photo. Stir well together,
- Bring to the boil, then cover the pan, turn down the heat and simmer until done, about 10 minutes See Photo. Test a few grains of rice for done-ness. If the mixture seems too wet, uncover and turn up the heat to boil off some of the liquid See Photo. Keep stirring all the while.
- Serve as a side dish, or as a main in its own right, sprinkled with the parsley (I forgot to do this before I took the pictures!)