Flaky EmpanadasFrom choclytcandy 4 years ago
- For the empanada dough: shopping list
- * 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- * 2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- * 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar shopping list
- * 5 tablespoons lard (keep cold) shopping list
- * 3 tablespoons butter (keep cold) shopping list
- * 1 egg yolk shopping list
- * 1/3 cup ice water shopping list
- * 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar shopping list
- * shopping list
- for the soffrito/ground meat: shopping list
- * 3 tablespoons olive oil shopping list
- * 1 onion, minced shopping list
- * 1 red pepper, minced shopping list
- * 2 plum tomatoes, grated shopping list
- * 1 garlic clove, chopped shopping list
- * 1 1/2 lbs ground meat (beef/pork/veal) shopping list
- * 2 tablespoons tomato paste shopping list
- * 1 tablespoon chipotle in adobo, chopped (optional) shopping list
- * 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro shopping list
- * 1 tablespoon sesame oil shopping list
- * 2 teaspoons sugar shopping list
- * salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- * shopping list
- To finish: shopping list
- * oil for frying shopping list
How to make it
- For the empanada dough:
- * Combine the flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a Kitchenaid equipped with the paddle attachment. Cut the lard and butter into chunks and scatter them over the flour mixture. Mix on low to medium speed until the butter and lard are fully incorporated and the mixture looks like coarse meal.
- * Add the egg yolk, water, and rice wine vinegar and keep mixing until the dough forms. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. When ready to proceed, roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thickness and cut out as many as possible 3 1/2 inch circles.
- For the soffrito/ground meat:
- * Add the olive oil to a skillet over low heat. Add the onions and peppers, stirring occasionally, for as long as possible, until the mixture is fragrant and translucent. Add the garlic then add the grated tomatoes. Keep cooking until the mixture starts caramelizing. Add the tomato paste and adobo stirring until combined. Add the ground meat, season, and stir until the mixture is cooked. Add the cilantro, the sesame oil and sugar. Let the mixture cool fully before filling the empanadas.
- To finish:
- * Fill the dough rounds with about 1 tablespoon of the filling. Brush some water around the edges and seal it to make half-moons.
- * When ready to serve, heat the oil to 375′F and fry the empanadas until golden. Drain on paper towels.
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
- Not added to any groups yet!