Saucy Red Potatoes With MushroomsFrom asmith 6 years ago
- 1 lb small red potatoes, steamed, quartered and kept warm shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- 3 Tbsp butter or margarine shopping list
- 14 large button mushrooms, stemmed and sliced (more or less as you like, this just happened to be the amount I had on hand) shopping list
- parsley, salt and pepper shopping list
- Sauce: shopping list
- 6 oz less fat cream cheese, softened shopping list
- 4 Tbsp butter or margarine shopping list
- 1 c milk shopping list
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder shopping list
- 2/3 c shredded monterey jack cheese (I used the mexican blend my husband came home with, but jack was what it should have been) shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, melt butter with enough oil to well coat the bottom of pan. When oil is hot, add enough mushrooms to cover the pan in one layer.
- Cook for a few minutes until golden brown, then turn. After another minute or so add some parsley and salt and pepper. When both sides are browned add to warm potatoes and repeat with remaining mushrooms.
- Toss potatoes and mushrooms together and keep warm.
- Melt butter and cream cheese in a saucepan over low heat, stirring until creamy. Slowly add milk, while stirring, then add garlic powder.
- Increase heat to medium low, continue stirring until hot. Add shredded cheese and stir until melted completely.
- Remove from heat, add salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle over potatoes and mushrooms.
- Note: This recipe makes more sauce than you need for only vegetables, serve with chicken or fish and let it do double duty. Also I think that wilting in some spinach or other dark green would be good but I didn't have any.