Turkish BaklavaFrom iwannabachef 3 years ago
- Simple Syrup: shopping list
- 1 1/4 cup water shopping list
- 1 3/4 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 tbsp lemon juice shopping list
- Baklava: shopping list
- 2 lb phyllo pastry (~40 sheets) (1 box of two rolls of dough) shopping list
- 1 cup + 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted shopping list
- 1 1/2 cup pistachios, grounded (measurement is after grinding) shopping list
- 6 tbsp heavy whipping cream shopping list
- I used a large pan, I'm not sure of the dimensions but I believe something like 13x9 or so. shopping list
How to make it
- First, prepare the simple syrup:
- Water and Sugar in Medium pot, boil for five minutes, reduce heat and simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Turn off heat, add lemon juice, stir and pour into a separate bowl to cool and set aside.
- Only take out one roll of phyllo dough at a time, as it dries out very quickly and will tear if too dry.
- Brush the bottom of your dish with butter then lay down 2 sheets of phyllo dough into the pan, brush with butter and place two more sheets on top of that, brush with butter again. Repeat these steps (2 sheet, brush with butter) until you have used all 20 sheets, brush top with butter then brush cream evenly on top of the 20 layers.
- Spread the pistachios evenly on the cream. Then finish the 2nd block of dough in the same way (2 sheets, brush with butter, 2 sheets, etc) until you have added all of the sheets. Brush butter on the top layer.
- Dip a large chef's knife into hot water and cut the Baklava into squares, only cut half way through though until you get to the pistachio layer. (Causes only the top layers to rise while baking, also makes it easier to cut when finished.)
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven, place dish on middle rack, for 25 minutes. Do not remove the pan from the oven, instead reduce the temperature down to 325F and back for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove Baklava from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes (You can clean up doing this stage) :)
- Using the same Chef's knife, cut Baklava all the way down, make sure to follow the same cuts from before so it's uniform.
- With a large measuring cup, pour the lukewarm syrup along the cut lines, make sure not to pour it all over, only btw the lines, otherwise it will be too sticky and will not come out exactly right.
- Sprinkle any remaining pistachios on top of Baklava. Let it rest for at least 4 hours before serving. The simple syrup should be completely absorbed.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- I cannot tell you how long it will last because it was gone the same night! I make another batch for home and it was gone in three days, so I know it lasts at least three days lol :)
- Enjoy! :)
- Sprinkle some pistachios on top of each Baklava. Let it rest at least 4 hours before serving. The syrup should be completely absorbed. You don't need to refrigerate it. Cover Baklava loosely with aluminum foil.
The Cookiwannabachef Buena Park, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!