Chicken Curry With ChickpeasFrom sosousme 3 years ago
- 3 cups coarsely chopped onion shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic shopping list
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use grapeseed) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom shopping list
- Pinch of cloves shopping list
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (blend slightly in the food processor once you have put the onions and garlic and ginger in the pan to saute so you don't have giant chunks of tomato- unless you like giant chucks of tomato) shopping list
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon turmeric shopping list
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into quarters shopping list
- 1 cup low-sodium or homemade chicken stock shopping list
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans (chickpeas) shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste (taste after the chicken has cooked for a while and is no longer raw) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, optional (I always say optional because some people don't like it, but if you do use it) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted cashews shopping list
- garam masala, for sprinkling, (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- In a food processor, chop the onions, garlic and ginger until they are finely chopped.
- In a medium Dutch oven or saute pan, heat the oil, add the coriander, cumin, cayenne, cinnamon, cloves and cardamon; cook over low heat until they are fragrant, about 1 minute. Turn up the heat to medium and add the onion mixture. Cook, stirring, until the mixture is tender and well flavored, just beginning to brown. Add the tomatoes and turmeric. Cook 5 minutes, then add the chicken pieces, garbanzo beans and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to simmer, and cook, uncovered for 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- To serve: place a nice serving of rice on a plate, then spoon the chicken with its sauce alongside. Sprinkle with cilantro, cashews and some Garam masala.
- Per Serving: (without rice) 310 Calories; 14g Fat (2g Sat, 7g Mono, 3g Poly); 23g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 57mg Cholesterol; 376mg Sodium.
The Cooksosousme Santa Rosa, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!