Herbed Cream Cheese BiscuitsFrom HoustonBelle 5 years ago
- 2 1/2 cups (10 3/4 ounces) Unbleached all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 tablespoon (a scant 1/2 ounce) baking powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper shopping list
- 3 tablespoons (1/4 ounce) chopped fresh chives OR 2 tablespoons dried chives* shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme shopping list
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated sharp cheddar cheese shopping list
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) butter or vegetable shortening shopping list
- 4 ounces (half a large package) cream cheese shopping list
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) milk shopping list
- *Substitute chive cream cheese or herbed cream cheese for the chives, thyme and cream cheese, if desired. shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, including the grated cheese, until everything is evenly distributed. Using a pastry fork or blender, your fingers or an electric mixer, cut in the butter (or shortening) and cream cheese, mixing until crumbly; some larger chunks of cheese and butter can remain. Pour in the milk while tossing with a fork; the dough should remain a bit crumbly, but hold together when squeezed. Add an additional 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk if needed.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and fold it over a few times, so that you can be sure it's totally cohesive. Pat it into an 8-inch square, 3/4-inch thick. Cut it into 2-inch squares, or use a 2-inch round cutter. Place the biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake the biscuits in a preheated 425°F oven for 16 to 18 minutes, until they're lightly browned. Serve them warm, or at room temperature.
- Yield: sixteen 2 1/4-inch biscuits.
The CookHoustonBelle Somewhere In, Texas
- Not added to any groups yet!