Savory Rice And Vegetable GratinFrom laika 4 years ago
- 1 generous cup cooked brown rice or rice of your choice, at room temp shopping list
- 1 generous cup washed and shredded spinach shopping list
- 1 leek, halved vertically and sliced shopping list
- 2 stalks spring garlic or 1 mature garlic clove, chopped shopping list
- 10 grape tomatoes, quartered shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 2 tbs pine nuts, toasted shopping list
- 1/2 cup semi-firm goat cheese or cheese of your choice, grated shopping list
- 2 tbs olive oil shopping list
- salt shopping list
- pepper shopping list
- pesto for serving (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat a tablespoon of olive olive oil until it just shimmers. Add the leeks and a pinch of salt and sweat for about three minutes--do not allow the leeks to brown.
- Toss the garlic and tomatoes into the pan with another pinch of salt and drizzle with a little more oil. Keep cooking the vegetables over medium-low heat until the the leeks are melty and the tomatoes begin to collapse. You may need to add a splash of water to prevent browning. Pull the pan off the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Mix the rice, spinach, pinenuts, and most of the cheese with the cooled vegetables in the pan. Beat the eggs with a pinch of salt and fold them into the rice; then pour tthe whole thing into an oiled baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake until firm, about 25 minutes. Leave the gratin to cool just a few minutes before cutting into wedges and serving. This tastes great topped with dollops of pesto, if you happen to have it around.
The Cooklaika New York, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!