Fannie Farmer's Chicken Pot PieFrom wylddwoman 5 years ago
For the sauce:
- 6 Tbsp flour shopping list
- 6 Tbsp butter shopping list
- 2 c. chicken broth (if I don't have any I dissolve 4 bouillon cubes in 2 cups water) shopping list
- 1 c. heavy whipping cream shopping list
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked pepper shopping list
For the rest:
- 1 package pre-made refrigerated pie crusts (2 crusts) shopping list
- 2 chicken breasts (about 4 c. chicken), cooked shopping list
- 1/2 large onion, chopped and cooked; or 1/2 c. pearl onions, cooked shopping list
- 1/2 c. peas, cooked shopping list
- 1/2 c. carrots, sliced and cooked shopping list
- 1/2 c. celery, sliced and cooked shopping list
- 1 potato, peeled, cubed and cooked shopping list
- 9-inch deep dish pie pan shopping list
- 1-quart saucepan shopping list
- 2-cup microwave safe measuring cup or dish shopping list
How to make it
For the vegetables & chicken: (Fannie Farmer does not tell you how to cook them, so I'll give you my method.)
- **I recommend doing the prep work (but not the sauce) the day before you intend on making the pie. Put everything in the fridge and then just preheat the oven, make the sauce, assemble the pie, and bake.**
- Chop the onion up very chunky. Slice the carrots and celery about 1/2" thick. Combine these three and steam for 7 minutes. Run under cool water to stop the cooking process.
- Use frozen peas and soak them in warm water to defrost.
- Peel and cut the potato and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Butterfly the chicken breasts, and dry rub with Lawry's season salt.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large fry pan or skillet and cook the chicken until golden brown and cooked through. Cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Note: You can use frozen veggie mixes and canned potatoes and chicken to make your life REALLY easy.
For the sauce:
- Put the broth in the microwave safe dish and heat on "high" for 2 minutes.
- Melt the butter in the saucepan and add the flour to make a roux. Cook, whisking, for 3 minutes.
- Slowly add the broth and whisk until incorporated into the roux.
- Add the cream and pepper and blend thoroughly. Cook until sauce it is very thick and smooth. Remove from heat.
Assembling the pie:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Unroll the pie crusts on a lightly floured surface and repair any tears in them. Line the bottom of the pie pan with one crust and use a fork to perforate it in a few places.
- Put a layer of vegetables, potatoes, and chicken, and pour half of the sauce over them. Do this again until all of the vegetables, chicken and sauce have been added to the pan. (This is easier than trying to mix all of the ingredients together and it keeps you from accidentally putting holes in the crust while mixing.)
- Cover with the second crust and pinch the seams together. Flute the edges with a fork or crimp with your hands. With a sharp knife, cut 6 to 8 slits on the top crust to vent steam.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
The Cookwylddwoman New Orleans, LA
- Not added to any groups yet!