Tomato-apple ChutneyFrom pointsevenout 1 year ago
- 2 cups seedless white raisins shopping list
- 2 cups chopped onion shopping list
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper shopping list
- 2 pounds brown sugar shopping list
- 1 quart white vinegar (5%) shopping list
- 4 teaspoons canning salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger shopping list
- ¼ cup whole mixed pickling spice shopping list
- 3 quarts chopped apples (about 5 pounds) shopping list
- 3 quarts chopped tomatoes (about 6 pounds Roma) shopping list
How to make it
- Bring lids and rings to almost a boil and reduce to low and hold them in hot water until ready to use. Boil jars for 10 minutes and hold in hot water until ready to use.
- Wash tomatoes and remove skins. Do not seed. Chop tomatoes to make 3 quarts. Wash and pare apples; remove seeds and cores; chop to make 3 quarts.
- Combine all ingredients except the whole spices. I use a 10” non-reactive stock pot. The ingredients fill it to 6” up the side. Place spices loosely in a clean, white cloth; tie with a string, and add to tomato apple mixture. Bring to a boil; boil gently at about a medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture is thickened and reduced at least one half in volume (about 2 hours). The apples will all but disappear but the flavor will remain. Remove spice bag. Don't be ascared to simmer it down to a nice thick sauce or the result will be more watery than desired. But keep it stirred so as not to scorch.
- Pack the boiling hot chutney into hot pint jars, leaving ½ inch head-space. Remove air bubbles and adjust head-space if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; adjust two-piece metal canning lids. Process in a Boiling Water Canner for 10 minutes adjusting for altitude. Remove and cool overnight.
People Who Like This Dish 4
- Good4U Perth, Canada
- doreenfish Thessalon, Canada
- mark555 Center Of The World Ma' Center Of The World, KS
- clbacon Birmingham, AL
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookpointsevenout Athens, AL
- Not added to any groups yet!