Hearty And Delicious Homemade Chicken Noodle SoupFrom darbar 5 years ago
- 6-8 quarts water, or enough to cover chicken and veggies shopping list
- 1 large (4 lb.) free-range or kosher chicken - cut in pieces shopping list
- Marrow bones (optional) shopping list
- 2 whole onions, quartered and unpeeled shopping list
- 6 cloves garlic, unpeeled and cut in half shopping list
- 4 shallots, unpeeled and cut in half shopping list
- 4 parsnips, peeled and cut into large pieces shopping list
- 3 stalks celery and their leaves shopping list
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and quartered shopping list
- 1 large turnip, peeled and quartered shopping list
- 1/4 cup celery root, chopped shopping list
- 1 kohlrabi, quartered shopping list
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut in half lengthwise shopping list
- half a bunch of fresh parsley shopping list
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh dill shopping list
- 1 tablespoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pepper shopping list
- 1 tbsp. L.B. Jamison's chicken Flavored Soup Base shopping list
- or 2 pkgs. Knorr's Homestyle chicken stock shopping list
- * * * * * * * * * * * * * * shopping list
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/4 inch pieces shopping list
- 3 celery stalks, cut into 1/4 inch pieces shopping list
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped shopping list
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped fine shopping list
- 1 pkg. egg noodles shopping list
How to make it
- Put the water and the chicken pieces in a large pot and bring to a boil. Skim off the froth. Add all of the ingredients from the first part of the list. Cover and simmer of 2 1/2 hours, adjusting the seasoning to taste.
- Pick out the vegetables and set aside. Strain the soup through a colander and then a screen strainer, remove the chicken, and refrigerate the liquid to solidify. Remove the skin and bones from the chicken and cut the meat into bite-size chunks. Refrigerate. Remove the fat from the soup. If you don't want to wait, you can just let the soup sit and cool for a while and then spoon off what fat rose to the top.
- Reheat the soup. Bring to a boil. Puree the saved vegetables in a blender and add a cup or more to the broth. Save the rest for future soups or use as a vegetable dip.
- Add the chicken, the egg noodles, the remaining 3 carrots, celery and parsley. Simmer about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked, but still firm. Serve with the remaining chopped dill for garnish.
The Cookdarbar Brevard, NC
- Not added to any groups yet!