Roasted Butternut And Red Pepper SoupFrom notyourmomma 2 years ago
- 3 tbsp of olive oil shopping list
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves minced shopping list
- 1/2 tsp of thyme, dried and crumbled in your fingers to release aroma shopping list
- 1 tsp of marjoram, dried and crumbled shopping list
- 1 12 ounce jar of roasted red peppers, drained shopping list
- 2 packages of frozen butternut squash, thawed but not drained shopping list
- 1 can of beef broth, low salt shopping list
- 1 can of chicken broth, low salt (14 1/2 oz) shopping list
- two strips of fresh lemon zest (zest remaining lemon for topping, fine grate) shopping list
- 1/2 lb. of fresh claw crab meat ( lump if you can afford it), all shell removed (totally optional, soup is good without it) shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- six thick slices of toasted French bread (a raft in a bowl of soup) shopping list
- lemon zest, minced chives or parsley as garnish shopping list
- chili oil or lemon oil as a flavor punch drizzle shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in large sauce pan over moderate heat for a few minutes, add onions, garlic, herbs and cook until fragrant and soft.
- Add pepper, squash, both broths and the strips of lemon zest. Bring to a low simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Remove lemon zest.
- Cool slightly and then puree in batches in a blender.
- Return to low heat, keep warm, taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- In six shallow soup bowls, place a slice thick french bread, brushed with olive oil and toasted.....top with equal portions of crab. Ladle hot soup over bread and crab to heat through. Drizzle with a touch of chili oil or a lemon oil. Sprinkle with chives and lemon zest.