Karela Curry ( Bitter-gourd Curry)From ambus 2 years ago
- 1 kg. bitter-gourds ( Karelay ) shopping list
- 1/4 cup oil shopping list
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. fenugreek seeds ( methi dana ) shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. carom seeds (ajwaain ) shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. nigella seeds ( kalonji ) shopping list
- 350 gm. onions, thinly sliced shopping list
- 250 gm. tomatoes, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 tbsp. red chillies powder shopping list
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt ( or to taste ) shopping list
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 tbsp. of fresh coriander leaves, chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Wash & remove the skin from the bitter-gourds by scraping with a sharp knife.
- Slit the bitter gourds lengthwise, making sure that they do not separate into two pieces.
- Remove all the seeds & cut the bitter-gourds in thin slices.
- Dust the bitter-gourds generously with salt and let it rest for at least 1 hour.
- Squeeze out all the water, rinse the slices and keep aside.
- Boil water in a pan with little turmeric powder.
- Add sliced bitter-gourds and cook until they are sightly tender.
- Drain water and keep them aside ( This step will remove some of the bitterness too ).
- Heat oil in pan, fry bitter-gourd slices in batches till they turn crispy and light brown.
- Remove from pan & keep aside.
- Now, add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, carom seeds & nigella seeds to the oil in the pan.
- Fry for few seconds, then add sliced onions and fry till they become soft.
- Add tomatoes, red chillies powder, turmeric powder, salt, fried bitter-gourd pieces & green chillies.
- Mix well, cover with a lid and cook on low heat for 5 minutes till tomatoes are soft.
- Add chopped coriander leaves & serve with Roti / Chapati.
The Cookambus Lahore, PK
Original Recipes143 members
Indian Flavors And Recipes263 members
Anything Goes286 members
FROM SCRATCH146 members
From Middle Eastern Lands253 members
Lahori Clan15 members
Asian Foods233 members
Family Favorites138 members
Our Daily Dinner792 members
Tried And True Recipes39 members