Sourdough French BreadFrom mark555 4 years ago
- • 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast shopping list
- • 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°) shopping list
- • 4-1/2 - 5 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- • 1 cup sourdough starter sourdough starter shopping list
- • 2 tablespoons canola oil shopping list
- • 3TBS sugar shopping list
- • 2 tsp salt shopping list
- • 1/4 Cup corn Meal shopping list
- • pan of water shopping list
- • cornstarch WASH: shopping list
- • 1/2 cup water shopping list
- • 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch shopping list
How to make it
- • In a large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water, Stir in the sourdough starter, blending well. Add 1 1/2 Cups flour. Mix well Let mixture rise overnight or about 12 hours to develop sponge.
- • Stir down the sponge. add sugar and salt; mix well Add 3 to 3 1/2 cups flour to sponge mixture. Work it in. Pour remaining flour onto kneading surface, Pour sponge mixture on top of flour. Knead until all flour has been worked into the dough. Continue kneading until folds form in dough (about 10 minutes)
- • Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- • Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch ends to seal. Place, seam side down, on two greased baking sheets; tuck ends under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- • place a pan of water in the oven to bake with the French bread.
- • With a sharp knife, make four shallow diagonal slashes across top of each loaves.
- • In a small saucepan, combine water and cornstarch. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Brush some over loaves.
- • Bake at 450° for 30 minutes. Brush loaves with the remaining cornstarch wash. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (10 slices each).