Filled Date Nut BarsFrom ttaaccoo 2 years ago
- 1/3 cup brown sugar shopping list
- 1 cup (or more) chopped dates(I get the best at an Indian grocery locally.) shopping list
- 1/2 cup orange juice --fresh, augmented with a spoonful of frozen concentrate + water. shopping list
- 1/2 cup tofu , firm or extra firm mori-nu (I used this firm, but next time will use regular store labelled tofu firm). shopping list
- 3 Tablespoons butter, roughly chopped into little bars. shopping list
- 1 tsp. vanilla shopping list
- fresh orange zest 1 Tablespoon. shopping list
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup oatmeal shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped shopping list
How to make it
- In a saucepan, combine the dates, juice and sugar. Simmer 5 - 10 minutes, until jammy. set aside to cool.
- Measure out the dry ingredients, and stir to combine. set aside.
- Whirl in food processor the tofu ,butter, and vanilla. . Dump all the dry ingredients plus the nuts and zest into the food processor, and run the machine for three seconds. (one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two...three) stop!! Divide the dough in half, and spread one half on the bottom of a buttered 8 inch square baking pan. Spread the date filling over the bottom crust dough, and top with the 2nd half of the dough.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. cool in baking pan. Turn out onto a clean plate. slice as desired.
- I used a round 10 inch silicone baking pan, If Lots of filling is desired, start with 1 1/2 cups fruit. btw, mangoes would be stellar with the dates as a filling!!
The Cookttaaccoo Buffalo, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!