Roast TurkeyFrom Mimi0E 5 years ago
For the Brine
- 3 cups kosher salt shopping list
- 5 cups of sugar shopping list
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 2 medium leeks, white and pale-green parts only, rinsed and chopped shopping list
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 2-3 celery stalks (with tops), coarsely chopped shopping list
- 2 dried whole bay leaves shopping list
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme shopping list
- 3-4 sprigs fresh parsley shopping list
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns and freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 10 cups water shopping list
For the Turkey
- 1 fresh whole turkey (18-22 pounds), rinsed and patted dry shopping list
- 1 stick unsalted butter melted shopping list
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened shopping list
- 1/2 cup dry white wine shopping list
- cheesecloth shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare the brine in a large stock pot and stir until dissolved See Photo. Bring to boil for 5-10 minutes then remove pot from heat and let cool completely to room temperature.
- Using a large plastic bag or container large enough for the turkey, place the turkey breast-side down and pour in brine See Photo. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Remove from brine and pat dry with paper towels and allow to stand at room temperature for two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees, with rack in lowest position. Stir together melted butter and wine in a bowl. Place stuffed or unstuffed turkey in roasting pan (breast-side up). Rub turkey all over with softened butter seasoned with salt and freshly ground pepper See Photo. Fold cheesecloth and immerse in butter/wine mixture and cover over breast.
- Roast turkey, brushing butter/wine mixture every 30 minutes (after the first 30 minutes reduce heat to 350 degrees), continue to brush butter/wine mixture over the next 2 1/2 hours (or more). Discard cheesecloth, basting turkey with juices. Continue in oven until thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh registers 180 degrees and stuffing reaches 165 degrees. See Photo
- Remove turkey from oven and remove stuffing. Allow turkey to rest for 30 minutes before slicing.
The CookMimi0E Rancho San Diego, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!