Basic Cream Soup (& Variations)From circlemoon8 4 years ago
How to make it
- Melt butter in saucepan at low heat; add onion and cook until brown. Add flour and seasonings and blend. Add milk gradually and stir and cook until thickened (about 5 minutes).
- CREAM OF ASPARAGUS: Add 1 1/2 cups cooked asparagus pulp and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg to basic soup and heat thoroughly.
- CREAM OF CELERY SOUP: Add 1 1/2 cups of diced, cooked celery, 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, and 1 tablespoon chopped pimiento to basic soup and heat.
- CREAM OF CORN SOUP: Add 1 1/2 cups of cream-style corn to basic soup and heat thoroughly.
- CREAM OF CHICKEN OR TURKEY SOUP: Use 1 1/2 cups milk and 1 1/2 cups chicken broth instead of the 3 cups milk in basic soup recipe; add 1/2 cup shredded, cooked chicken and heat thoroughly. (Use turkey for turkey soup.)
- CREAM OF POTATO SOUP: Add 1 1/2 cups finely diced cooked potatoes and heat thoroughly. Garnish with dill weed.
- CREAM OF TOMATO: Add 1 1/2 cups hot sieved tomato pulp gradually to basic soup, stirring constantly. Serve immediately.
- CREAM OF MUSHROOM: Use 1 1/2 cups milk and 1 1/2 cups beef broth instead of 3 cups milk in basic soup recipe; add 2 cups chopped cooked mushrooms.
- CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP: Use 1 1/2 cups milk and 1 1/2 cups chicken broth instead of 3 cups milk in basic soup recipe; add 1 1/2 cups cooked, finely chopped broccoli.
- CREAM OF CAULIFLOWER: Same as broccoli soup using cauliflower instead.
The Cookcirclemoon8 Mesa, Arizona
- Not added to any groups yet!