West Coast BouillabaisseFrom ferguinness 3 years ago
- 20 medium sized and ripe tomatoes shopping list
- 6 cloves garlic pureed shopping list
- 4 Cups vegetable or seafood stock shopping list
- 2 Tb butter shopping list
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced shopping list
- 3 celery stocks, sliced shopping list
- 1 yellow onion, sliced shopping list
- 1 carrot sliced shopping list
- Zest and juice from half an orange and half a lime shopping list
- Three saffron strands shopping list
- 1 Kg salmon, cubed shopping list
- 0.5 Kg shrimp cut small shopping list
- 0.5 Kg sliced scallops shopping list
- 0.5 Kg clams, mussels, shellfish shopping list
- 1 avocado shopping list
- 125 ml heavy cream shopping list
- 1 t. cayenne shopping list
- Chopped cilantro shopping list
How to make it
- Bring a pot of salted water to a rolling boil. While waiting core your tomatoes, scoring an X on the bottom side. This will help with the peeling later on. Fill another pot with half water and half ice
- When water is boiling add as many tomatoes which will fit, submerged. Boil tomatoes for 1 minute or until skin begins to peel at the X's.
- Remove Tomatoes from boiling water directly to your ice bath This hot to cold shock helps remove the skin from the flesh of the tomatoes. Cut all the tomatoes in half, remove the skin and the seedy pulp. I do this over a dish with a colander so as to use as much of the tomato juice as i can. Place all your tomato fillets in a pot with the stock and simmer for roughly 30 minutes, using a submersible blender to quicken the break down.
- As the tomato stock is simmering melt your butter on medium high heat, once butter is bubbling and pot is hot add onion, celery, carrot and fennel, season with salt, pepper and paprika. After 2 minutes add garlic(saving roughly 1 cloves worth for the avocado puree), do not stir for a few minutes to let saute mix brown on the bottom of your pot.
- Once this brown carmelization has built up add orange/lime juice mixture, scrapping pot bottom with wooden spoon to lift this flavour base off of pot to coat your vegetables. Add smooth tomato stock, remove from heat and refrigerate for 30 minutes Once your soup is chilled you may add your seafood. Return to refrigerator for 30 minutes or overnight to allow your fish to marinade and your ingredients to get to know one another!
- When ready to serve merely bring soup to a rolling boil, about two minutes. Salmon should only be cooked to medium, shrimp should change colour to pink and shellfish should open.
- Soak saffron strands in tablespoon of boiling water.
- Reduce heat and add citrus zest blend as well as saffron tea. Serve with chopped cilantro, lime wedges and a drizzle of avocado puree garnish and enjoy!
- Avocado Puree
- In small amount of butter saute garlic on medium, add cream and slightly reduce. Cool cream mixture, add to avocado and blend with cayenne and chopped cilantro.
The Cookferguinness Revelstoke, Canada
- Not added to any groups yet!