Garlic Roasted Chicken With VegetablesFrom twill10 5 years ago
- garlic roasted chicken with vegetables shopping list
- ©From the Kitchen of Deep South Dish shopping list
- Prep time: 10 min |Cook time: 1 hour 45 min | Yield: About 4 to 6 servings shopping list
- Ingredients shopping list
- 1 (5-6 pound) whole roasting chicken shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper shopping list
- 1 large full head of garlic, cut in half crosswise shopping list
- 1 lemon, cut in half shopping list
- 1/2 of a large sweet or yellow onion, sliced very thick shopping list
- 3-4 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks shopping list
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks shopping list
- 4 tablespoons of butter, melted shopping list
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Drizzle a little bit of olive oil in the bottom of a roasting pan just large enough to hold the chicken and the veggies. Sprinkle the inside of the chicken with salt and pepper. Stuff the lemon halves and garlic halves into the cavity, cover with the flap, and tie the legs together with kitchen twine. Tuck the wings underneath.
- In a bowl, drizzle half of the butter over the vegetables and toss them a bit. Toss the onion, carrots and potatoes all around the chicken and brush the rest of the butter all over the chicken. Sprinkle the veggies and the chicken with salt and pepper. Toss the rosemary sprigs on top of the veggies.
- Roast for about 1-1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when pierced between the leg and thigh. Transfer the chicken to a platter, cover loosely with aluminum foil. Give the vegetables a toss and return them to the oven to roast another 15 minutes, or until tender. Carve the chicken, place the slices back onto the serving platter and surround the chicken with the roasted vegetables. Serve immediately.
- ~Cook's Notes~
- You'll want a larger sized roasting chicken for this recipe, rather than a smaller 3 pound fryer. If you have the time, brine your chicken before roasting. It really does make a difference!
- Tip: Use a large roasting pan and roast two birds at once, pretty much in the same amount of time. Set the second chicken aside to cool and then pull the meat off. Bag in 2 cup measures for use in recipes needing cooked chicken - you'll usually get at least 4 cups depending on the size chicken you use.
The Cooktwill10 Cape Girardeau, MO
- Not added to any groups yet!