Sweet Soy Pork W Star AniseFrom oliviajasonkim 2 years ago
- Ingredients: Serves 4 people shopping list
- 2 lbs pork shoulder, sliced into chunks shopping list
- 3 tbsp sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup soy sauce shopping list
- 1/3 cup vinegar shopping list
- 1 star anise, grounded shopping list
- 1 tbsp gochugaru (red pepper flakes) shopping list
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 tbsp sesame oil shopping list
- 3 cups water shopping list
- 2 large potatoes, cut up into large chunks shopping list
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch length shopping list
- 1/2 cup of mushroom whole or halved shopping list
- 1 lemongrass stalk shopping list
- pine nut (for garnishing) shopping list
- sliced green onion (for garnish) shopping list
- 1 liter Pepsi (for marination) shopping list
How to make it
- In a large pot over high heat, place the pork chunks with a few bay leaves. Let boil for about 10 minutes and drain under running cold water.
- With a skewer, poke the chunks of meat to tenderize the inside of the meat before marinating.
- Combine the pork with the l liter of Pepsi in a large bowl. Cover and let marinate for at least an hour (the longer the better).
- Rinse the pork and place in a large pot. Add the water with sauce ingredients and lemongrass. Cook on medium heat for about 20~25 minutes while occasionally coating the meat with sauce.
- Add in potatoes, mushrooms, and carrots, cooking for another 15 minutes on low heat. Discard lemongrass stalks.
- Near the end when most of the broth should have thickened or evaporated, add some sesame oil.
- Serve on a platter as main course. If you have extra sauce leftover (that hasn't evaporated) I recommend mixing and eating with rice.
- Garnish with pine nuts or green onion.
The Cookoliviajasonkim Madison, Wisconsin
- Not added to any groups yet!