Homemade Pretzel Bites W/cheddar Cheese SauceFrom akitchenaddiction 3 years ago
- * 1 1/2 C warm water shopping list
- * 2 tbsp light brown sugar shopping list
- * 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast shopping list
- * 6 tbsp butter, melted shopping list
- * 2 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- * 4 1/2 to 5 C all-purpose flour shopping list
- * olive oil shopping list
- * 3 quarts water shopping list
- * 3/4 C baking soda shopping list
- * 1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp cold water shopping list
- * course salt shopping list
For cheese sauce
- * 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter shopping list
- * 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour shopping list
- * 1/2 C skim milk shopping list
- * 8 oz total of reduced-fat white and yellow cheddar cheeses, grated shopping list
- * salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- * pinch of garlic powder shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Combine water, sugar, yeast, and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix until combined. Let sit 5 minutes.
- 2. Add the salt and flour and mix on low-speed (using dough hook) until combined. Increase the speed to medium and continue mixing until dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl. This will probably take about 3-4 minutes.
- 3. If dough appears too wet, add more flour a tablespoon at a time.
- 4. Remove the dough from bowl, place on a flat, floured surface and knead into a ball.
- 5. Coat a bowl with olive oil, add the dough and roll to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap, place in a warm draft-free spot and allow to rise until doubled in size.
- 6. Preheat oven to 425.
- 7. Bring water to boil in a medium-sized sauce pan, add baking soda.
- 8. Remove the dough and place on floured surface. Divide dough into eight equal pieces.Roll each piece into a rope about 22 inches long. Cut dough into about 1-inch pieces.
- 9. Boil the pieces in the water solution in small batches, about 10-15 at a time.Boil for about 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- 10. Place pretzel bites on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Try to keep the bites from touching.
- 11. Brush the tops with the egg wash and sprinkle liberally with salt.
- 12. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- 13. Remove to baking rack and allow to cool for 5 minutes before eating.
- 14. While pretzel bites are baking, make cheese sauce.
- 15. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and cook until slightly thickened.
- 16. Remove from heat, stir in the cheese until smooth and all of the cheese is melted. Add the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir until smooth.
- 17. Enjoy! :)
The Cookakitchenaddiction Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Not added to any groups yet!